[Sca-cooks] Mattioli's Mushrooms

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 13:10:42 PST 2011

Ranvaig wrote:
>  >And further, any enlightenment on the German mushroom names
>  >is also most welcome. And, of course, it may be that it's something that
>  >can't quite be determined from this resource alone.
>
>I was waiting for Urtatim to chime in, but she has some translated
>German mushroom recipes here.
>http://home.earthlink.net/~al-tabbakhah/23GermanMushroomRecipes.html

Thank you for that kind mention. That was quite a while ago. I was
cooking a German feast and wanted a German mushroom recipe because i
knew the Germans like mushrooms! But i couldn't find any, by looking
for some variation of the German word for mushroom. So i made an
English recipe mushroom instead.

Then Thomas Gloning sent me two batches of medieval mushroom recipes
in German. It turned out that the recipes in German were very
specific as to exactly which mushroom, no generalities. So i
translated them. Gwen Cat looked over the first batch, and Giano
helped quite a bit with all the recipes (especially with one recipe
that was quite awkward to me, and which was awkward to him, too),
but, alas, he didn't recognize all the mushrooms. My abundant thanks
to both of you... you are mentioned on the web page.

Not too long ago i got e-mail from a German who recognized a couple
of the old mushroom names we hadn't figured out yet, but i never got
around to updating the web page. Mea culpa :(

Now with Katherine's additional info, i really *do* need to update that page.

Juana Isabella wrote:
>  I've often wondered which ones might be appropriate for period cooking.

In the 23 German recipes i translated:
12 morels (1 stuffed with ''a good filling of eggs and seasonings'',
roasted, and coated with fish aspic);
4 redlings which are probably rotlings;
2 Stockschwammen (stock mushrooms, not sure which these are);
2 hens mushrooms (not sure which these are);
1 cepes/porcini mushrooms;
1 Keiserling (Caesar's agaric, royal agaric, or Caesar's mushroom,
Amanita caesarea);
1 raysling (might this be Rehling?);
1 white Mushrooms that grow in the Heath (not sure which these are);
1 white bitter Mushrooms (not sure which these are);
1 fake morels made of dough and filled with white or green scrambled
eggs or roasted apples in honey, dipped in batter, and deep fried.

--
Urtatim [that's err-tah-TEEM]
the persona formerly known as Anahita