[Sca-cooks] Speck

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Thu Feb 10 09:42:07 PST 2011

Hello all,

 Speck is generic for all sorts of bacon all from pigs: gru:ner Speck is
just salted and not smoked resembling pancetta (almost pure fat) and or
Lardo (pure fat), Speck made from the leg bones is resembling prosciutto,
here also the degrees of smoking varys and the "air-time" for drying the
smoked hams, bauchspeck is made from the sides and resembles berakfast bacon
but is smoked / cured. more  layers of fat and meat. Ossocollo is leg meat
deboned and "rolled" into a piece and then smoked and cured.
Kareespeck is made from the rib pieces, a bit of fat and much meat,...

This lsit is in no way complete,..., I am in the lucky position to have
relatives owning a farm and slaughtering their own pigs twice a Year for
smoked sausages, Salami, and all sorts of bacon,...

Regards Katharina