[Sca-cooks] Officially Period...the tomato

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 17:28:07 PST 2011

Sigh - yup the article in the florilegium that Johnnae, Me and Brighid wrote.
Mostly because of the vast number of "look tomatoes are period there is a
reference in some herbal saying that the Italians eat them". So I can make
bolognese.

If you actually read the article the evidence is anything but strong.
I wrote more on New World food in 16th century Italy later, including more on
the tomato and why I don't think that it was cultivated or eaten widely.  That
is also in the florilegium.
And also on my website:
http://www.medievalcookery.com/helewyse/files/newworld.pdf
Helewyse

I'm swamped up to my eyeballs today, but I thought this deserved a forward. From

the illustration it does seem to be tomato, although I seem to recal that they
had them and just didn't see them as a common food item. I just wish I had saved

the Italian reference I sumbled upon years ago that refferred to tomatos as
"lovely, but useless" as I haven't been able to find it again since.

However I agree that like chocolate and other items I'd hate for people to
assume that just because they were aware of a food item in some form
that?hershey bars and pizza with red sauce?are viably historically accurate.

In joyous service,
Raffaella