[Sca-cooks] Speck

Susanne Mayer susanne.mayer5 at chello.at
Mon Feb 14 12:15:43 PST 2011

> I was looking at the 1590 inventory of a German widow, and it lists 7
> sides of 'speck' and one piece in the kitchen.  I'm assuming these are
> sides of bacon/pork.  It came to my mind that I really have no idea what a
> side of bacon looks like as I mostly buy bacon in that grocery store
> packaging.  At any rate, it seems that 7 sides of speck would imply that
> the meat is somehow preserved (salted/smoked?)  How much meat would there
> be in a "side" on average?
>
> Katherine

A side of Speck ( use THIS: speckseite, as search topic for pictures in
Goggle ) is  a whole piece of the thing, and if it is from the belly side,
you get two out of one pig,

Here's the German wiki page
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speck

and the English page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Both give you a good, but a bit different overview over the theme. A whole
side of bacon does go up in to the kilogram range quite easily, as it
depends on the size of the pig slaughtered and the part used. You will
probably try to find period painting of a sausag emaker, butcher, etc to see
the sides hanging in the chimney and then compare to modern pictures, but
the sides mentioned in the book where probably bell (bacon rashers
compatible, but salted and smoked) and back, as almost all better parts
where used for eating directly and the parts like head and feet for sausage
meat, or also for itself.

http://www.handltyrol.at/xxl/_lang/en/index.html

This is the page of one of the most famous commercial producers in Austria
in English, with lots of pictures of all the modern versions .

Regards

Katherina