[Sca-cooks] Spanish tomato sauce, late 16th c.? -- from Gerarde's Herball 1597

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Feb 14 18:55:27 PST 2011

As to where Gerard obtained his 1597 information where he wrote: "The
vertues. In Spaine and those hot regions they vse to eate the apples
prepared and boilded with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeelde very
little nourishment to the bodie, and the same naught and corrupt.
Likewise they do eate the apples with oile, vineger and pepper mixed
togither for sauce to their meate, even as we in these cold countries
do mustarde" (p.276)

I suspect in fact it comes from repeating the advice here:

Castor Durante  "I pomi d'oro mangiansi nel medesmo modo che le
melanzane con pepe, sale e olio, ma danno poco e cattivo nutrimento"
  Translation: The golden apple one eats in the same way as the
eggplant with pepper, salt and oil, but it gives little and evil
nutrition.

  Source: "Herbario nuovo", Roma, 1585, dall'introduzione di Piero
Camporesi a "La scienza in cucina e l'arte del mangiare bene" di
Pellegrino Artusi

  Translation: New herbal, Rome 1585, from the introduction of Piero
Camporesi to “The science in cooking and the art of eating well” of
Pellegrino Artusi.

(from our infamous tomato article as previously discussed.)

----- Piero Camporesi in The Magic Harvest. Food, Folklore and Society
states that Castor Durante wrote that tomatoes can be eaten 'in the
same way as aubergines, with pepper, salt, and oil; but they give
little and poor nourishment." page 127. The footnote gives the page as
372 in Durante's Herbario nuovo.

Johnnae