[Sca-cooks] Girolamo Benzoni was Description of New World Foods 1591

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 19:16:40 PST 2011

It's quite possible that material might have been added. The question is
who added it, the source, and when was it added. The author died circa
1570, so
he was long dead by the time the German edition appeared.

If you are serious about the work, Worldcat can provide a list of
biographies, histories, and bibliographies that might provide you with
a more complete picture of the book, all its editions, and the author.
The Catholic Encyclopedia noted
"... the book has small merit, except in as far as it presents and
describes facts witnessed by the author. Even these are not always
faithfully reported. It might be called a controversial document
because of its violent partiality and hostility. It does not notice
mitigating circumstances, and ignores what is good when it does not
suit the author. Benzoni writes sometimes like a disappointed trader,
and always as a man of limited education and very narrow views. His
"Historia del Mondo Nuovo" (Venice, 1565) was reprinted in 1572, and
translated into French by Eustace Vignon, 1579. Aside from the
annotations which are often trivial and as partial as the book itself,
the English translation, "History of the New World by Girolamo
Benzoni" (London, 1857), by the Hakluyt Society, is certainly the best."

Johnnae