[Sca-cooks] Not Dead Yet

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 18 12:05:34 PST 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 2:03 PM, Susan Fox wrote:

> If you hear that David Friedman is dead, please note that they are not talking about Our Cariadoc but another notable of similar name.
>
> "David F. Friedman, a film producer who cheerfully and cheesily exploited an audience’s hunger for bare-breasted women and blood-dripping corpses in lucrative low-budget films like "Blood Feast" and “Ilsa: She-Wolf of the S.S.,” died on Monday in Anniston, Ala. He was 87. "
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/movies/15friedman.html?_r=1&ref=movies
>
> Yours in faith, hope and CLARITY,

Ah, yes, the quiet and business-like (relatively speaking) partner of the great [sort of] Herschel Gordon Lewis, of the pair that changed history and invented the gory horror movie, for better or worse. They had a body of work (no pun intended) in the soft-core pornography industry at the time when such things simply became unacceptable to the target clientele, so rather than branch off into what would later become known as hard-core pornography, they tried... erm... something else.

No comment on the social implications.

Be that as it may, I've occasionally wondered what kind of horror movie our David Friedman would make... something about cannibal Hanseatic League diplomats, perhaps?

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter