[Sca-cooks] the oddness of ethnicity

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 21 08:06:56 PST 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Glenn Gorsuch wrote:

> Brilliant.  I figure, if it's all a matter of self-certifying one's
> race/ethnicity, and as global genetic material gets put into a giant
> Cuisinart anyway, we should categorize using something that makes more
> sense:  "Preference in cuisine?"

My son has gotten used, over a period of years, to being assumed to be of some sort of Spanish-speaking ancestry. He has sort of gold-toned skin, dark hair and eyes, high cheekbones, straight nose (actually pretty striking, they tell me), and could probably pass for almost any birthplace from Athens East to Rio de Janeiro, if so inclined.

But preference in cuisine? No question; Southern Chinese, preferably seafood.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter