[Sca-cooks] Alcohol in Islamic countries

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Feb 1 11:35:38 PST 2011

Al-Tanukhi, who was a judge in 10th century Baghdad, mentions various
anecdotes about wine drinking, including one that features a barge
loaded with wine en route to the palace of the Caliph. I think it's
pretty clear that upper class middle eastern Muslims drunk wine, just
as catholics engaged in non-marital sex--in both cases sinful but
accepted.

>Annals of the Caliphs' Kitchens (10th Century Islamic) includes
>dozens of recipes for wines and meads. I even found mention of what
>to do to remedy hangovers (drink cold water first thing in the
>morning -- some things never change!)
>
>-- Galefridus
>
>>  Message: 3
>>  Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 08:39:33 -0500
>>  From: "Jim and Andi Houston"
>>  To: ,	"'Cooks within the SCA'"
>>
>>  Subject: [Sca-cooks] Alcohol in Islamic countries
>>
>>  Eastern Muslims were the most liberal, wine drinking was
>>  socially accepted
>>  in many circles among Persian and Indian Muslims. If you read
>>  the early 16th
>>  century Baburnama, the autobiography of the first of the Mughal
>>  Dynasty, he
>>  goes into great detail about his drinking parties and where one
>>  can find the
>>  best wine in Central Asia.
>>

>>  Madhavi
>>

>>  From: sca-cooks-bounces+jimandandi=cox.net at lists.ansteorra.org