[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 23:04:06 PST 2011

Mirianna asked:
<<< Hummmmm?? When did sea-moss become a "norm for blanc-mange?? Here is one from
1904 a publication from gold medal flour, and no longer in the "sick" catagory
of foods.? >>>

<<< Is the sea-moss a coagulant/thickner?? ?I know there is a sea-weed that is used
in a lot of things like dog food, carnageehan or?something like that?(I know
that is spelled wrong)?could that be what they are talking about?? >>>

Yes, the sea moss isn't so much an ingredient as the thickening agent. Previously it would have just been the starch released from the rice.

We have discussed the use of seaweed before. Some of it's use may have been as a thickener, but I can't remember.
seaweed-msg (22K) 4/29/09 Use of seaweed as food and for other uses.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/seaweed-msg.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com