[Sca-cooks] suet Vs. fat

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Feb 2 07:56:13 PST 2011

We had this discussion almost exactly a year ago--there are several breeds
of fat-tail sheep still around. From Phlip's post on the topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat-tailed_sheep
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karakul_(sheep)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awassi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhead_Persian
http://www.sheep101.info/sheeptypes.html
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/heritage_breeds/65309/2

And from Urtatim's post:

"There are quite a number of fat tailed/fat rumped sheep breeds, which
appear to have originated in Central Asia. Some of them have tails
that when dressed (!!) weigh 5 lbs. Here are photos of a few
displaying their fat tails (or rumps) There are many other fat-tail
breeds besides these:

the Altay
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/altay/index.htm

the Balkhi
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/balkhi/index.htm

the Baluchi
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/baluchi/index.htm

the Hasht Nagri
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/hashtnagri/index.htm

the Moghani
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/moghani/index.htm

the Ujumqin, a Mongolian
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/ujumqin/index.htm

the Waziri
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/waziri/index.htm

The Han, one of the most extreme
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/sheep/han/index.htm
(note that while it is in "China", the region is one of
Turkic/Central Asian culture):"

Margaret FitzWilliam