[Sca-cooks] Documenting balsamic? Slow progress

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 19:48:52 PST 2011

Raffaella talked about her balsamic vinegar research.

Please keep us informed as your research proceeds.

<<< It would require finding barrels out of at least 5 of the following woods, in
decreasing sizes - acacia, ash, cherry, chestnut, juniper, mulberry, oak and
walnut. >>>

Getting barrels at all seems to be a hit and miss hunt, especially out of different woods.

coopering-msg (57K) 7/13/10 Making and maintaining barrels and kegs.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/CRAFTS/coopering-msg.html

Here is a source I just recently got. They seem to make standard barrels in a variety of standard sizes and they also say they make custom barrels. While this mainly seems to be different hoops or decorations, different woods might well be possible, provided the wood can be found. Barrel staves are usually made from radially split logs, not sawn, and this will impact the wood availability as well.

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/

<<< If I can prove the part about it being recommended to ease labor pains that
would be an amazing cross over into my research on child birth and food
recommendations during pregnancy in Renaissance Italy! >>>

Have you written any articles or A&S documentation on this? I'd be interested in some information on period childbirth and pregnancy, whether specific to Italy or for our period in general. I'm afraid what I have in the Florilegium is rather minimal.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com