[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

Claire Clarke angharad at adam.com.au
Thu Feb 3 02:30:18 PST 2011

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:21:39 -0500
From: Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com>
To: Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] oxtail soup, Vol 57, Issue 36

And I just noticed an Ox tail recipe.  Not soup though.

Ochsen 73. Eyngemachten Ochsenschwantz/ setz jn
zu in einem Wasser/ vnd la? an die statt sieden/
heb die Br?h davon auff/ so wirdt es wohl
geschmack/ Als dann nimm gelbe R?ben/ schab vnd
schneidt sie voneinander/ quells in Wasser/ vnd
k?l es au?/ Nimm darnach ein wenig ungesaltzen
Speck vnd Zwibel/ hacks durcheinander mit gr?nen
Kr?utern/ la? den Schwantz damit sieden/ thu
gestossen Pfeffer darein/ so wirt es gut vnd wohl
geschmack.

73.  Put up** Oxtail/ set it to (the fire) in a
water/ and let simmer until done/ lift from the
broth/ like this it becomes good and well
tasting/ then take yellow roots (yellow carrots)/
peel and cut them apart/ parboil in water/ and
cool off/ Then take a little unsalted bacon and
onion/ chop together with green herbs/ let the
tail simmer with them/ put in ground pepper/ like
this it is good and well tasting.

** Eyngemachten is a difficult word, modernly it
means canned, but in Rumpolt indicates fruit
preserved in sugar or dishes with a sauce or
sometimes in a pie - I suspect they might be
dishes meant to be served cold.  I've settled for
using "put up" to translate it, but am aware that
it isn't entirely correct.

Ranvaig

It may not be called a soup, but it certainly sounds like it could be
interpreted as a soup. I mean, it doesn't tell you to chuck away the liquid
that you simmer the oxtail, onions, bacon and herbs in. Mind you it doesn't
tell you what to do with the carrots either, apart from cook them.

Angharad