[Sca-cooks] Period copyright

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Feb 10 13:08:47 PST 2011

It's a grant of royal privilege permitting the exploitation of whatever
property specified as the Crown directs.  Within the Crown's domain, such a
privilege could be enforced by the courts.  Outside the Crown's domain, it
is essentially unhenforceable.  It was not standard to all texts, but
granted to selected printers and selected texts.  IIRC, the first general
copyright law was issued by Queen Anne of England in 1710.  From that,
copyright laws were introduced in various nations.  Modern copyright law is
a mixture of national law and international treaty.

Bear