[Sca-cooks] Spanish tomato sauce, late 16th c.? -- from Gerarde's Herball 1597

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Feb 13 09:03:46 PST 2011

How do we know Gerard's statement is true and accurate?  Much in his Herball
does not appear to be based on direct observation and in this case the
original source is undetermined.  I am willing to accept that these
observations are correct to a degree, but do not necessarily represent a
general usage.

If we are parsing sentences, consider the phrase "they vse to eate" which
suggests that they ate at one time, but do not do so now.  Was this perhaps
a dish prepared by returning Conquistadors, that fell away as they died off?

What would be interesting, and which I do not have time to do now, is check
Clusius's Rariorum aliquot stirpium per Hispanias observatarum historia
(1576) for references to the tomato.  Clusius's work was prepared from
observations made while travelling in Spain.

Bear