[Sca-cooks] A 16th century cook image

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 19:33:39 PST 2011

Of course, of course, it's only that Death and food are my favorite topics
:) I am a social anthropologist (besides to be a writer) and my thesis was
about death and food, specially in the Middle Ages, Spain and Mexico. I have
a huge collection of books of Art and philosophy telling how the death
changed it's form after the French Revolution. Until that time the death was
a very social event and the dead was in a bed in the middle of a room and
neighboors, relatives and children were around eating drinking and chatting.
But the bourgeoisie privatized the death and the "social" part of the death
dissapeared.
That's because the Mexican celebrations in the day of the Dead are so
important, a remain of the old times where death, life and food were
intimately related.
Ana

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:22 AM, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> I did know that of course. Death rides a pale horse; 4 horsemen; danse
> macabre, etc. Way back when I actually combined art history with my medieval
> history courses.
> I mentioned it only because I didn't know if anyone else had actually
> browsed the work or not.
>

> Johnna

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci