[Sca-cooks] the oddness of ethnicity

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 10:48:04 PST 2011

I am myself the result of an horrible hybridization :) or "metissage", as
Frenchmen says. My granddads father was a Cuban of Spanish ancestors, he was
very tall and blue eyed, he was the first ambassador of the independent Cuba
1898 in Montevideo and Buenos Aires. He married my granddads mother, Spanish
from Galicia. Some of their children have blue eyes (since Galicia and
Asturias, my ancestors birthplaces in Spain, are old Celtic people, mostly
black hair and blue eyes).
My mothers family are Italian, some from the North and some from the South.
Some of us have  brown eyes and white skin and other have blue eyes and dark
or blond hair.
My Spanish and Italian family sent me and my sister to a Catholic nunschool.
They were German nuns. It means my current childhood's languages were
Spanish, Italian and German. When I come to Sweden, for 32 years ago, I
learned Swedish and via Swedish I can speak and understand Norwegian and
Danish.
I am thinking of going back to Uruguay, really tired of the Scandinavian
winter.

Ana

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius <
adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 2011, at 10:49 AM, Glenn Gorsuch wrote:
>
> > Brilliant.  I figure, if it's all a matter of self-certifying one's
> > race/ethnicity, and as global genetic material gets put into a giant
> > Cuisinart anyway, we should categorize using something that makes more
> > sense:  "Preference in cuisine?"
>
> My son has gotten used, over a period of years, to being assumed to be of
> some sort of Spanish-speaking ancestry. He has sort of gold-toned skin, dark
> hair and eyes, high cheekbones, straight nose (actually pretty striking,
> they tell me), and could probably pass for almost any birthplace from Athens
> East to Rio de Janeiro, if so inclined.
>
> But preference in cuisine? No question; Southern Chinese, preferably
> seafood.
>
> Adamantius
>

> "Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we
> all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
>                        -- Rabbi Israel Salanter

http://anavaldes.wordpress.com
http://passagenwerk.wordpress.com
http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your
eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long
to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci