[Sca-cooks] the oddness of ethnicity - specifically hungarian recipe

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed Feb 23 15:28:18 PST 2011

It has both hot paprika and cherry peppers or hot green peppers.
Those are New World Peppers, so How early can it be?

My guess would be 19th century. And here we go:

"The first two Hungarian paprika recipes did not appear in print until
1829, in Istvan Czifrai's cookbook. They were paprikas chicken and
halaszle, the fish soup of Szeged, the center of capsicum culture in
Hungary then and now." from Why We Eat What We Eat: How Columbus
Changed the Way the World Eats  By Raymond Sokolov. He mentions
paprika is talked about as early as 1569, but it doesn't appear in
cookery books until much later.

It is all over the internet:
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/recipes/szeged-fish-soup-szegedi-halaszle/

Johnnae