[Sca-cooks] hot soup OPSoup

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 24 23:54:17 PST 2011

Kiri described:
<<< That's even worse than the young man who helped cook a feast some years
back.  He was responsible for cooking a barley soup and the recipe was in a
traditional Scottish cookbook.  The recipe said, "a cup of barley, salt and
pepper."  He interpreted it to mean that it wanted a cup each of barley, salt
and pepper.  It took a lot of work to overcome the cup of pepper
particularly...those trying to sort it out couldn't really afford to start
all over again, so they took out all of the solid bits (meat, veggies, etc.)
and created a new broth.  Even after washing all of the solid bits off to
get as much of the pepper out as possible, it was still VERY peppery. >>>

Is there a postscript to this story?

Did the group ever let this poor, young man back into the kitchen?  Has he gotten up his courage enough to come back into the kitchen?.

For although I'd like to think that I wouldn't do something like that, I have done stupid things, often from skipping something or mis-reading a recipe direction. So it is difficult to be hard on him. I will be adding it to the Florilegium fst-disaters-msg file, though. :-)

You didn't have a problem with that much salt? Just the pepper? Although there are known methods for unsalting foods since salt is/wast used as a preservative method.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com