[Sca-cooks] the oddness of ethnicity - specifically hungarianrecipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 20:10:35 PST 2011

Looking up paprika in the Oxford Companion to Food, they state that paprika was introduced into Hungary by the Bulgarians, who got them from the Turks, in 1604, according to Lang.  They also state that the paprika was very hot then.  The current paprika we have today is a product of a process formulated in 1859 that discards the seeds and most of the capsaisin and reduces the heat considerably.

Huette