[Sca-cooks] Cookbook Geneology

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Feb 1 07:34:38 PST 2011

Actually a large number of academic texts and papers which examine
manuscripts and early printed books do in fact talk about the place of
the manuscript or book being examined within the larger scope of the
canon and the recipes. Certainly Michael Best's footnotes talked about
recipes and their sources in his edition of Markham's The English
Housewife. Karen Hess did commentaries for each of the recipes
published in the MWBC.

Professors Constance Hieatt and Terence Scully are two authors you
should look at.  Scully extensively discusses the place and sources of
La Varenne, Taillevent, Chiquart, and Scappi in his books. The
Neopolitan Recipe Collection. Cuoco Napoletano work which Scully
edited is another great example.

Most of the time this material you seem to be seeking is in the
introductory pages. For 1985's Curye on Inglysch by Hieatt and Butler,
the pages you should examine are 15-34. Constance Hieatt's latest book
on medieval English recipes, titled A Gathering of Medieval English
Recipes also discusses  the relationships between the medieval English
collections. She publishes a number of them here for the first time
and discusses the antecedents.

I would be remiss should I not mention that our book from 2006 is all
about gathering recipes together. The Concordance of English Recipes:
Thirteenth Through Fifteenth Centuries by Hieatt, the late Terry
Nutter, and myself  certainly made those connections and provided a
bibliography to the articles and books for further study. That is what
a concordance does. If you don't already own a copy of the
Concordance, Devra has copies in stock.

Hope this helps,

Johnna,
Bibliographer, librarian, and co-author of the Concordance