[Sca-cooks] goats milk cheese recipe

Louise Smithson helewyse at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 16:19:26 PST 2011

So after having a copy of Scappi for nearly 10 years, after having read it many
times, I was still surprised last week when I found this recipe. Apparently I
just overlooked the recipe as it was in the invalid section.

It should also be uploaded to my webpage soon (courtesy of Doc) -
http://www.medievalcookery.com/helewyse

helewyse

A recipe for goats milk cheese, goats milk ricotta and rose scented whey drink
from Scappi.

Per fare siero di latte di Capra purificato Cap LXVIII, Sesto Libro, Opera di
Bartolomeo Scappi.

Piglisi il latte munto all’hora, & pongasi dentro il quaglio, o presame, & come
è preso pongasi al foco lento lontan dalla fiamma, & come il latte viene a
scaldarsi, si caverà con destrezza il cascio, che in alcuni lochi si dimanda
struccoli, pongasi poi dentro un poco d’aceto o d’agresto, & facciasi bollir
pian piano, fin’a tanto che haverà fatta la ricotta, & passisi per un setaccio
fisso, & ripassisi per la calzetta di bombagina bianca, & se esso siero si vorrà
con le rose, si lascierà stare in infusion per tre hore, & piu o meno second il
bisogno, & come sarà stato il sopradetto termine con le rose, si colerà un altra
volta per lo setaccio, & si sarà intepidire per forza d’acqua calda, & all’hora
si potrà dare a bere, e farne altro secondo che sarà commesso dal Phisico.

To make purified whey of Goat milk. Chapter 68, 6th book, Scappi.
Take milk collected within the hour, and put inside of it rennet or thistle
juice[i] and when it is ready put it to a slow fire a long way from the flame.
When the milk starts to warm one takes carefully from it the cheese that in
another place one presses.  Put then inside (the whey) a little vinegar or
verjuice and let it boil very slowly until the ricotta is made, and pass it
through a basket hair sieve, and pass it again through the stocking of cotton
stuff[ii].  And if you want the whey with rose one leaves it to infuse for three
hours or more or less dependent upon your needs.  And when it has finished with
the roses one strains it another time through the hair sieve.  And one can warm
it up with a little hot water and immediately one can give it to drink, or do it
another way dependent upon the instructions of the physician.