[Sca-cooks] Roman Cuisine Hits Golden Playne (Thailand)

Klement St.Christoph klement_st.christoph at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 19:14:53 PST 2011

Greetings, Culinary Experts of the Known World!

The following report was posted on the Yahoo! e-mail list for the Palatine
Barony of the Far West.  I thought you might be excited to hear what's going on
with the culinary arts in this far-flung outpost of the West Kingdom.  I expect
that you will all find the accompanying quiz trivially easy, but I thought I
would include it just to give you a better idea of the kinds of things we are
doing to raise awareness of and appreciation for Roman cooking in preparation
for our upcoming Roman-themed event.

Yours in service,

Klement St. Christoph, OL
Seneschal of the Palatine Barony of the Far West

Weekly Culinary Arts Evening in the Canton of Golden Playne

Yesterday we had one of our cooking nights, and it focused on Roman
cuisine. We had about 13 people there, including my lady and me. We
started off with a quiz on what Romans did and didn't eat. I put a
sample of the quiz down below, if anyone wants to try their hand at
it. I may see if I can put it up as a webpage of some sort.

Of course, our menu for the night may give away some of the answers.
We started with some olives, dried dates, and bread with a cheese and
honey spread (feta cheese, honey, and black pepper). We then split
the group up into teams for the rest of the dinner, which included
honey cakes, ostrich, cooked carrots (we used the orange kind because
that is what we have these days), boiled lentils, and a bowl of herbed
melon. We are focusing on Roman dishes to prepare for the Feast of
Feralia. Pictures will be going on up on Facebook, thanks to Lord
Gladivs, who was standing in for our seneschal and taking copious
photos.

The night ended with a very lively (if non-period) game of Apples to Apples.

If people want to try the quiz for themselves, here were the choices
(all pictures) as best as I can remember. People were asked to note
which items the Romans *didn't* eat (or at least, we don't have
records for them):

Ginger
Oranges
Grapes