[Sca-cooks] Getting bread into the oven

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jan 17 10:52:54 PST 2011

I tend to use baker's parchment for high sugar doughs that will stick to
just about anything and I usually have two rolls on hand just to take care
of the situation if I have a mad urge to fill the kitchen with cakes or
cookies.  I would think that it would work very well with a bakestone.  BTW,
the last time I forgot to use parchment in a pan, I managed to split a fruit
cake diagonally leaving the bottom half of the loaf sticking in the pan.

The temperature differential isn't about getting bread in or out of the oven
per se.  It has to do with the fact that the bakestone retains and convects
heat more evenly than the surrounding air.  If you use a baking tin that
extends over the edge of the bakestone, any temperature variance between the
air and the stone may be reflected in the baking sheet.  The issue would
tend to be immaterial for parchment paper as it doesn't have much potential
for exacerbating the problem.

Bear

From: "Audrey Bergeron-Morin" <audreybmorin at gmail.com>