[Sca-cooks] Flour question

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 17:01:22 PST 2011

Thanks....once I settle on which recipes from al-Warraq I like, I'll check
out what you've done as a point of comparison.  I'm finding the version of
the book that I have to be very informative and useful.  Most of the
measurements, for example, are rendered both in the original Arabic and in
modern American/English as well.

So far as the flour is concerned, I may try cake flour and the semolina as
well just to see which gives the best result.

Kiri

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 1:42 PM, David Friedman <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com>wrote:

> I am working on the menu for my upcoming A Day in the Middle East feast.
>>  And I'm having a dandy time going through my new copy of "Annals of the
>> Caliphs' Kitchens."  In several of the recipes, reference is made to
>> "...pure, fine *simidh* flour (high in starch and bran-free)...".  The
>> question is...would this be just a general all-purpose white flour...or
>> should I use a specialty flour such as bread or cake flour?
>>

> I've been using semolina, since it's frequently mentioned in (translations
> of) other Islamic cookbooks, but I don't know if that's a correct
> translation or not. It seems to work all right.
>
> Note that the draft of the 10th edition of the _Miscellany_ is up at:
>
> http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Misc10_Draft/Misc10_Draft.html
>
> and contains my worked out al-Warraq recipes.
>

>> Also...and I'm sure we've talked about this before...but please remind me
>> what I could use in the place of the frequent references to camphor and
>> musk.
>>

> You can get edible camphor from Indian grocery stores, although you may
> have to try a bunch of them to find it. It's still used.
>
> I have not found any solution to the musk problem.

> --
> David/Cariadoc
> www.daviddfriedman.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince