[Sca-cooks] OP - Australian veggie and meat pies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 23:22:06 PST 2011

Looking at local job board today, I noticed a mention of a new food place in Austin, Boomerang's Pies (http://www.boomerangspies.com ).

They say:"The Australian meat pie is an Aussie icon. The tradition of pie making and eating came to Australian shores with the early European settlers beginning in 1788. Pastry cooks in Europe had been encasing fruit and meats in pies since the 13th century, but Australia made the delicacy its own. Through the years Australians handed down the tradition of pie making and eating and during World War II pies were recognized as the “national dish.” Throughout the Aussie meat pie’s history the cuisine has grown in popularity and can now be purchased just about anywhere in Australia."

I know we've got some Aussies here, and we've talked about Aussie food some, including things like hamburgers with beet root on them and egg?, but I don't every remember meat and veggie pies coming up. I'm still not sure of the veggie and meat pie combos mentioned, but then I've never particularly liked the American "chicken pot pie"s either.

However, some of their pies do sound intriguing, although some are probably more of a fusion cuisine than Aussie.

This list of how they're garnished gives an idea of the flavors.
"We garnish the top of the pies to distinguish our various flavors.  The hot pies come in labeled bags, but if you purchased frozen pies,  here are the garnishes we use on each pie:
	• Steak & Mushroom - Thyme
	• Traditional - nothing
	• Guinness Steak & Potato - mix of red pepper, parsley & thyme
	• Beef & Cheese - nothing
	• Texas BBQ - Cheddar cheese
	• Pepperoni - Parmesan cheese
	• Curry Chicken - Cumin
	• Southwest Chicken - Cayenne Pepper
	• Chicken & Mushroom - Parsley
	• Chicken Classic - Oregano
	• Thai Chicken - Poppy seeds
	• Spinach & Mushroom - Sesame seeds
	• Southwest Veggie - finely chopped basil
	• Curry Veggie - Curry Powder (yellow) "

So, are savory pies a common item in Australia? Are these anything like the pies in Australia or is this mostly hype?

I liked the bright, pink musk flavored candy that someone this list sent me from Australia years ago. I'm thinking I may just have to get down to the central part of town (near the Univ. of Texas campus) and try one of these pies sometime. Much cheaper than flying to Lochac.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com