[Sca-cooks] OP - Australian veggie and meat pies

Antonia dama.antonia at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:00:51 PST 2011

On 24/01/2011 8:22 p.m., Stefan li Rous wrote:
> This list of how they're garnished gives an idea of the flavors.
> "We garnish the top of the pies to distinguish our various flavors.  The hot pies come in labeled bags, but if you purchased frozen pies,  here are the garnishes we use on each pie:
> 	• Steak&  Mushroom - Thyme
> 	• Traditional - nothing
> 	• Guinness Steak&  Potato - mix of red pepper, parsley&  thyme
> 	• Beef&  Cheese - nothing
> 	• Texas BBQ - Cheddar cheese
> 	• Pepperoni - Parmesan cheese
> 	• Curry Chicken - Cumin
> 	• Southwest Chicken - Cayenne Pepper
> 	• Chicken&  Mushroom - Parsley
> 	• Chicken Classic - Oregano
> 	• Thai Chicken - Poppy seeds
> 	• Spinach&  Mushroom - Sesame seeds
> 	• Southwest Veggie - finely chopped basil
> 	• Curry Veggie - Curry Powder (yellow) "
>
> So, are savory pies a common item in Australia? Are these anything like the pies in Australia or is this mostly hype?

Savoury pies are *very common* in Australia and New Zealand.

Some of those flavours are fairly normal: Steak & Mushroom, Traditional
(ie, either steak or minced meat, one assumes), Beef & Cheese, Chicken &
Mushroom, Thai Chicken, Curried Veg, Guinness Steak and Potato, Curry
Chicken.

These ones are all oddballs, quite likely concocted for the American
audience.

	• Texas BBQ - Cheddar cheese
	• Pepperoni - Parmesan cheese
	• Southwest Chicken - Cayenne Pepper
	• Spinach&  Mushroom - Sesame seeds
	• Southwest Veggie - finely chopped basil

> I liked the bright, pink musk flavored candy that someone this list sent me from Australia years ago. I'm thinking I may just have to get down to the central part of town (near the Univ. of Texas campus) and try one of these pies sometime. Much cheaper than flying to Lochac.

Pff! Lochac is wonderful, and we'll buy you a steak-and-cheese pie if it
makes a difference.

--
Canterbury Faire 2011 - You know you want to!
http://sg.lochac.sca.org/cf