[Sca-cooks] suet Vs. fat

Honour Horne-Jaruk jarukcomp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 23:41:55 PST 2011

Respected friends:
     Suet and fat are _not culinarily interchangeable. (One oddity of linguistics is that rendered suet becomes tallow, while rendered fat is just fat.)
 First, suet has much less included moisture and a higher melting point; this makes a huge difference with many recipes (as I found out the hard way when I used suet, not fat, in my first venison sausages). Tallow candles are a classic example of the difference between the two- fat melts at too low a temperature, and can't be made into candles at all. Tallow makes slightly drippy candles that don't smell good if they aren't stored cold, but they hold their shape well enough for practical purposes.
     Second, suet doesn't have to be heated and filtered for many uses - pie crust comes to mind - while fat tends to have some spectacularly nasty bits you'll want to be very sure you've gotten out. Generally speaking, fat is soft, smooth, and unctuous (a much nicer term than slippery) while suet is hard, brittle, and maintains shape (a much nicer term than sticky).
The very best suet is found around the kidneys. Lard is pork suet, and the kidney sections are called "leaf lard" and have always been considered the best quality.

Yours in service to both the Societies of which I am a member-
(Friend) Honour Horne-Jaruk, R.S.F.
Alizaundre de Brebeuf, C.O.L. S.C.A.- AKA Una the wisewoman, or That Pict

FORTE EST VINUM, FORTIOR EST REX, FORTIORES SUNT MULIERES: SUPER OMNIA VINCIT VERITAS