[Sca-cooks] Redaction

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 25 12:08:52 PST 2011

If I were entering a dish in an A&S competition, I would probably write
something like:

"This dish is my best attempt to re-create what I think the original dish
might have looked and tasted like.  The next section is a summary of the
gaps that I have had to fill in, the differences in ingredients or
ingredient substitutions that I have had to make (and why), the modern
appliances and tools that I have used, and any other points where there
might be differences between this dish and the original."

"re-creation", "interpretation", "best attempt", and "redaction" all
carry some level of implication that there will be differences.

We have the opportunity within the SCA to take "redaction" (or some other
word) and make it mean what we like.  When I first ran into the word
"redaction" in the SCA context, I interpreted it from context (without
looking it up) as meaning "best attempt at re-creating an original
recipe".  So even if that is not the precise dictionary definition, it
might be a meaning we could adopt if we think it is useful.

It leaves room for us to discuss whether any particular redaction is more
or less faithful to the original.

Thorvald