[Sca-cooks] Was persona - now Bread

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 26 11:12:27 PST 2011

 In general, the cook and the cook staff would not be involved with bread.
 That would be the province of the baker.  As the description suggests this
 is a noble house, the bread of choice would likely be a fine wheat bread on
 the order of manchet.  The baker might also prepare coarser breads of
wheat,
 barley, rye or mixed grains, trenchers (depending on era), and biscuit
 (think hard tack) and horsebread for field use.

 If you are researching bread in history, I would suggest you start with the
 Sumerian "Hymn to Ninkasi" from around 3000 BCE.  It contains the oldest
 known recipe for bread (which was then converted to beer).  You might also
 hit the Florilegium http://www.florilegium.org/ to see what we've discussed
 about bread on this list in the past.  I also recommend planning research
 for about 10 years rather than the 1 year you suggest.  The subject is that
 vast and difficult to research.

 Bear