[Sca-cooks] Calf's Tail in Risotto

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jan 28 03:53:55 PST 2011

Eduardo wrote:

>I just got home from the grocery store and I saw calf's tails! Ranch 99 is >FANTASTIC! I didn't buy them because I thought I would not have a use for >them. Now I do! Must return to the store. Eduardo

I had put a query about the original recipe on the Forum and the response was that, basically, food history is being played with.  The implication is that there is no "oxtail and risotto" from 1390, that Blumenthal has been "inspired" (reminds me of Cosman and "Fabulous Feasts") and put the two together, claiming a 1390 recipe as the origin, but no proof, no documentation.  His food tastes good, it is said, but historically we need to take him with more than one grain of salt.  Reminds me of SCAdians who say "Well, they had X in the Middle Ages, and they had Y.  I'll put them together and if I don't have Y, I'll substitute C.  So, here's my period dish..."

Alys K.