[Sca-cooks] MisRepresenting the Outlands was snails....

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 28 07:35:59 PST 2011

And I say that schmalz is not a weird "period" food.  It is something that
people know what it is today.  And yes we do try more than just the plain old
honeybutter.  But try to put something other than recognizable meat, meat and
more meat on a menu, with a starch to round it out and just a bit of veggies
here and there.

You are also one of the cooks with a reputation for food that people will eat.
Look around, now, how many new cooks are there, and who is going to give them a
chance to do a feast with out a known cook backing them.  Aldyth is correct in
the fact we have gotten very insular, there are only a few cooks that anybody is
willing to take a chance on, and those cooks tend to keep it to what they know.
 When you cook, I know it is going to be German.

Did you notice what happened at 12th night?  As soon as feast was served the
room cleared out and left maybe 100-120 people.  And after that, everybody left,
poof, gone.  There were maybe 20 off-boarders, they didn't even stay.  We can't
even keep an event that is traditionally a "Feast" event going.  How hard was it
to even find an autocrat for it?  No bids, no ideas, if Jethro (the Scenachal)
hadn't stepped in to be autocrat, it probably wouldn't have even happened.   We
didn't even finish court.  It was just resessed, it was never closed, no long
live the King, Queen, Outlands................  Everybody just, left.

That's pitifull.

The last 12th night I cooked was for 280 people, not including the freebies and
that was small compared to the normal at that time of 300-350.  When I helped
Hannah plan the food for this one I had to fight to make her believe that she
should plan to cook for 120 to 150.  And that included the freebies of the Crown
and B&B's.   By December 18th we had less than 20 reservations to feast, that is
3 weeks before the even!  Did we even sell out at the door?  I never heard.
When was the last time we had a 12th night feast that sells more than 150-170?
8-10 years?

There is a sense of apathy about feasts.  I have heard rumblings of we should
just do away with them at events.  I can't imagine doing an all day feast, as
there are in other Kingdoms.  We would be laughed out of the planning meeting,
and loose our asses on the costs, because no-one but a few willing, hardy souls
would be willing to pay for it and show up.  Especially if we didn't have
something like a hard-suit, fighter something running with it.

Come out of the Kitchen Gwen, and look around.  We have a problem and it needs
to be addressed.

I like Aldyth's idea of introducing foods at A&S's, and the others here who have
suggested starting small and having tasteing tables at events.  That at least
would be a step to get the attitude of "period" food is bad, out of peoples
minds.

Mirianna