[Sca-cooks] Apicus (5th C Roman) Translation - A Real Ebook Translation into English

Elaine Koogler kiridono at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 06:25:49 PST 2011

I looked at the ebook you noted for Apicius and find that it is the Vehling
translation.  Though it is not available as a free ebook, the better
translation is the more recent one by Sally Grainger, which has been
described on this list in the past.

I do have The Art of Cooking...and have thoroughly enjoyed using it.  I also
have an earlier version of the Anderson book, and it is also excellent.

Kiri

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:15 PM, <mich0067 at flinders.edu.au> wrote:

> http://www.green-ebook-shop.com/ebooks/2/9/7/2/29728/29728.html
>
> It's all here, with notes on translation, substitutions, missing words,
> etc.
> There are no recipes (redactions?), but the original is there in detail.
>  Free
> too, which makes a nice change from $2000 if you're more interested in the
> info
> than having a book.
>
> I am also having a look at 'The Art of Cooking The First Modern Cookery
> Book' -
> which is actually an english translation (with recipes) of the Platina
> texts:
> http://www.amazon.com/Art-Cooking-Cookery-California-Studies/dp/0520232712
>
> and
>
> Melitta Weis Anderson's 'Food in Medieval Times':
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Medieval-Times-through-History/dp/0313361762
>
> Interesting Reading.  Anderson's book is especially good, as it discusses
> the
> food of different regions, and how they changed throughout the period.
>
> The Melitta book was suggested by Johnnae llyn Lewis in Gauntlet (thanks!)

"It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; what is essential is
invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince