[Sca-cooks] Feast Lighting: Was Stuffed Monkey Heads

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jan 30 09:05:26 PST 2011

Audrey Bergeron-Morin wrote:

 >Funny, the feasts I remember, there wouldn't be enough light to make
 >the difference between pink, purple or brown... in the dark,
 >everything looks either beige, brown or black... :-D

It's amazing that while we portray the nobility (well, most of us), our
feast hosts act as if they lived in hovels and had no access to torches,
wall sconces or candelabra.  The nobility of period did not eat in the
dark.  Halls were lit as brightly as the host's purse - and status -
demanded.  Unfortunately, most SCA groups serve feasts in Victorian
gloom.  Besides removing "remove" (of course it's "course"!), inadequate
lighting at feasts is one of my "bugaboos".

I actually did carry a flashlight into one Midrealm feast which was held
in a barn with no electricity.  We truly could not see the dishes!

Alys K., working on my "curmudeon-inity"

--
Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com
alyskatharine at gmail.com