[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jan 30 16:28:50 PST 2011

Lots of sweet things come to mind. Fruits, fritters, souffles, cakes,
creams and jellies, the pastries and confections
are all listed in Audot's French Domestic Cookery from 1846.

Beauvilliers in The Art of French Cookery (1827) has Wafers.
Butter Wafers. Gauffres an Beurre.

Put into a bason three spoonsful of sugar and three of flour, a little
orange-flower water and a little lemon grate ; melt two ounces of fine
butter in half a pint of water and wet the paste with it; mix the
flour well and let the paste be thin; that is to say, neither too
clear nor too firm; heat the irons equally on both sides; butter them
all over but slightly; put in a spoonful of paste, and fire by turning
it on both sides; take out the gauffre when it is of a fine gilded
colour, and roll it upon a roll, and hold it till it takes the form;
then put in another, and as they are finished put them in a  search
into the stove to dry till ready to serve.

Cream Wafers. Gauffres a la Crime.

Take three spoonsful of sugar, three of flour, two eggs, a little
orange-flower water, and liquify it with sweet cream; let the paste be
thin and very smooth; heat the irons on both sides and butter them,
and do the wafers as in the article above: to give them another form,
take a bit of very smooth wood about a foot long and the thickness of
a small cane: when the wafer is ready lay the wood upon the iron and
roll it up: throw it off and put it into the stove.

Google Books has a number of original 19th century French cookbooks up
now.

Johnnae