[Sca-cooks] Roux was Re: Knives

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 2 03:50:28 PST 2011

On Jan 2, 2011, at 1:19 AM, David Walddon wrote:

> How roux-like is it?
> Eduardo

Multiple instances; I'd very roughly guess after glancing at Welser about a quarter of all thickened sauces, contain an instruction to heat some fat in a pan, brown a spoonful of flour, then add liquid and stir it together and boil until thickened. In some cases it's wine, in at least one wine and cherry syrup; in many cases broth is used. It kind of looks like a quick and dirty substitute for Taillevent's or Chiquart's slightly viscous pea broth/puree... you know, like it occupies a similar niche in the repertoire du cuisine.

Adamantius

"Most men worry about their own bellies, and other people's souls, when we all ought to worry about our own souls, and other people's bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter