[Sca-cooks] Help me drink beer (semi-OT)

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jan 17 17:47:13 PST 2011

Should have asked me, Brighid ;-)

I'm betting that the flavor you don't like is the hops, which tend to
be pretty bitter. If you look at the history of beers, they used to
have a very short shelf life until the advent of hops- however hops do
taste rather bitter.

Suggest you try to find a gruited ale. There might be assorted other
flavors available too. Wheat beers DO taste different, but they're
usually hopped too. Most American beer is rice based, so your
knowledgeable informant was giving you excellent advice for a start.

Someone else will have to tell you which commercial brews are gruited-
I usually get mine from assorted friends at Pennsic. Can maybe ask a
friend if he's brewed any recently, and see about getting them to you.