[Sca-cooks] Carrots in period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Jan 19 13:16:00 PST 2011

While other carrots fell out of favor of the orange hybrid in Europe, most
colors of carrots can be found in Asia.

I would also point out that the definition of "heirloom" is not as cut and
dried as you make it.  There are are arguments over the cut-off date for the
age of the cultivars, 1945 and 1951, being the most prominent.   There is
also disagreement as to whether to limit "heirloom" status to only plants
passed down between local gardeners or to include commercial varietals that
have fallen out of favor and are no longer readily available.  Heirloom
plants can be hybrids, but they can not have undergone genetic manipulation
and they must have been open pollinated.  An heirloom must also no longer be
in use in large scale agriculture.  There is a lot of wiggle room when a
company uses the term "heirloom" and doesn't define their interpretation.

Bear