[Sca-cooks] Carrots in period

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Fri Jan 21 15:26:01 PST 2011

Oops, while there are refernces to orange carrots in the 17th Century, the
serious botanical descriptions are 18th Century.

The first variety is the Long Orange Dutch, which was presumably described
in 1721 (I haven't found the reference yet).  I think it may be a true
breeding hybrid from the orange carrots referenced in 16th and 17th Century
sources.  It is believed to be the progenitor of the "Horn" carrots, the
Early Scarlet, the Early Half Long and the Late Half Long.  The Horn carrots
are the basic stock for our modern commercial varietals.  I have seen
non-contemporary references to at least three other varietals, but have no
particular proof of their existence.  I tend to refer to five varietals,
because I have encountered that particular information several times, but
have not been able to validate the information.

For the descriptions try:

Knoop, J.H., 1752:  De beknopte huisholdijke Hovenier, Vol. 1, 309-310,
Noordbeek, Leeuwarden.
Knoop, J.H., 1769:  Beschrijving van de moes -- en keukentuin, Ferwerda and
Tresling, Leeuwarden.

I haven't located the original texts yet, although I have several references
to them.

The Horn carrots are so named because they are connected to the village of
Hoorn.  There are references to "carrots of Hoorn" as early asa 1610 (but no
description), so it is probable that all four varietals listed above were
around in the 16th Century.

Bear