[Sca-cooks] oxtail soup

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jan 24 00:04:22 PST 2011

>Good Gentles,
>I'm having a little trouble in my search for a period (14th century) oxtail
>soup...
>
>Can anyone give me a little help? please...
>thank you,
>Lady Marie

I would try looking in the German cookbooks--in part because I know
the English and the Islamic cookbooks pretty well, and can't remember
seeing an oxtail soup in them, in part because it feels German to me.
_Wie man eyn teutsches Mannsbild bey Krafften halt_ claims to have
14th c. recipes and it has some soups, but my German isn't good
enough to make it easy to figure out either if any of them is oxtail
or how reliable the redactions are. Rumpolt is 16th c., but it has
recipes organized by animal, starting at the head and working down,
so if there is an oxtail soup it should be easy to find.

If you can read German. In gothic print.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com