[Sca-cooks] Redaction

Daniel Myers dmyers at medievalcookery.com
Mon Jan 24 07:00:28 PST 2011

After the last time this was discussed on the list, I spent some time
thinking about this.

I decided that while our use of "redacting" and "redaction" are
technically correct, they don't really fit with the overall gist of the
term as it is currently used by the general public - which usually
involves removing words from a text before publishing (e.g. what the CIA
usually does before releasing old files to the public).  This puts our
use into the category of jargon, and it unnecessarily makes our work
just that much more opaque to the average reader.

Since then I've been removing it from my website when I come across it,
and usually use "interpret" and "interpretation" instead.

- Doc
MedievalCookery.com