[Sca-cooks] Redaction

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 12:27:47 PST 2011

Aldyth said:
<<< Thank you for all the input.  I couldn't get the flori to search at all this
weekend.  And I was pretty sure it had come up.>>>

The Florilegium? If it was a technical problem, please let me know. What I don't know about, I can't fix. However, I didn't notice any particular problems with the search engine this weekend.

But searching for "redaction"? Awk!! That is such a common word in the SCA, I think searching on it would be useless. Okay, yes, not as bad as I thought. only 405 results. But hardly useful.

Here are several files, but I think they are mostly on suggestions on redacting, rather than the arguments on whether to use the word or not.

Redacting-art (10K) 7/ 3/00 "The Kitchen Wench Way: Redacting Recipes" by Caointiarn.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-art.html

Redacting-Rec-art (14K) 12/22/08 "Take a Quayle, and Sle Him - A Beginner's Guide to Redacting Medieval Recipes" by Mistress Euriol of Lothian, O.P.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/Redacting-Rec-art.html

redacting-msg (50K) 10/ 8/08 Changing period recipes into modern format.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/redacting-msg.html

<<< I think I would rather use adapted than redacted for the class.  It is going
to be two hours long, with the pre requisite that you need to know how to

But "adapted" implies "changed" to me. As in adapted for vegetarians, or adapted for lactose-intolerance. And we *don't* want to change the recipe itself, just the wording or description.

When there is no good word already to describe something new, a new word is created or an old word is modified. I think we can do quite well with "redacted", "redaction" if everyone is clear on what the new definition is.  It seems to be used both within and outside the SCA and I've yet to see one that works as a better replacement.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com