[Sca-cooks] Apicus (5th C Roman) Translation

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 22:14:24 PST 2011

Someone posted:
<<< Hi,

Sorry if this has already been posted - I've just joined *waves hello*.  A quick
look in the archives didn't turn it up (and I don't know how to search it).

Here is the Apicus (5th C Roman) Cookbook translated from the Latin-1
Transliteration to English:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=la&tl=en&u=http://www.gutenberg.org/files/16439/16439-h/16439-h.htm&prev=_t

I thought some folks with early and / or Italian personae might like this.  I
get the impression that the recipes were used later in the period as well. >>>

Thank you. I'm going to assume that this is in the original Latin, although Google proceeded to 'try' to translate this for me. I think.

We have often discussed and argued over which of the various translations of Apicius is the best to use. Even the worst of these translators puts the 'automatic' translations to shame.

In case you might wish to see what others have said about the various translations available, see this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of the Florilegium:

cb-rv-Apicius-msg (66K) 12/ 1/06 Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cb-rv-Apicius-msg.html

Welcome to this list. Who are you?, since you didn't sign your post? Where are you from?  What are your particular interests in period or SCA cooking? We have all levels of cooks here, from those just learning to cook, to those who are just learning about medieval foods, to those who have cooked feasts for large numbers to people, to professional cookbook authors and researchers.

Unfortunately, the archives for this list are incomplete. This list has actually been going on since about 1997 or so. Another good place to search for previous discussions, although not a complete archive, is the various food sections in the Florilegium. If you've never been there, it can be found at: http://www.florilegium.org

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com