[Sca-cooks] OT - G'day Lords and Ladies

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 25 16:32:05 PST 2011

Tamsyn said:
<<< I'm Tamsyn and I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.  I haven't even gotten around
to joining my local SCA yet (I don't thing they're really active until Uni goes
back for the year anyway). >>>

Welcome to this list!

There has been some recent discussion of Australian meat pies and specifically "(In Adelaide, it's served floating in pea soup, but Adelaide is like that.)". So, is this true? or is someone trying to cast Adelaide in a bad light?  :-)

There is a Lochac kingdom mailing list, if you're not on it already. That might give you some more local discussion while waiting for the university to start back up.

<<< My persona will probably be from the south of Germany, late 14th / early 15th.
They have the hammered dulcimer (I'm a piano player and think I could get into
it if I can source one to have a look at first to see). >>>

I don't seem to have a file in the PERFORMANCE ARTS section of the Florilegium specifically on the hammered dulcimer, but I think I have a little information on them in the instruments-msg file. Still, some of the info on period music or period music sources in that section might be of interest.

There are some files on German food scattered throughout the Florilegium, such as:
In the FEAST-REVIEWS section:
German-Feast-art (32K) 2/26/06 German feast cooked for the Erud Sul Investiture by HL Caitlin Ruadh (called Ru) and Lady Evja Johannsdottir.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/German-Feast-art.html

German-Fst-OC-art (22K) 9/26/09 German feast for the Outlands Crown Tournament from "Ein New Kochbuck", 1581 by Catrin von Berlin (Gwen Cat).
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/German-Fst-OC-art.html
(since you said Gwen Cat suggested this list to you)

fd-Germany-msg (152K) 9/20/10 Medieval and Period German food. Cookbooks.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BY-REGION/fd-Germany-msg.html

Eberhard-art (91K) 6/29/05 A 15th century German recipe collection translated by Giano Balestriere.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Eberhard-art.html

Konigsberg-art (28K) 6/29/05 A 15th century cookbook from East Prussia translated by Giano Balestriere.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Konigsberg-art.html

23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K) 3/ 6/03 "Twenty-three German Mushroom Recipes" by Urtatim.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-VEGETABLES/23-Ger-Mushrm-art.html

<<< Oh - and beer (I brew).  You have no idea how chuffed I was when I discovered
that during the period in question hops were widely used in Germany (I'd seen
so much about them not being period), but they still weren't the only
flavouring agent, and that ales were probably more common that lagers. >>>

Check out the Florilegium BEVERAGES section. There is some info there on hops and other herbs added, at first as perservatives. Also some info on how the definition of what is an ale and what is a beer have changed through the centuries.

These files are actually in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
Hops-Hist-art (8K) 4/ 7/08 "Hops: A Brief History" by Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/Hops-Hist-art.html

hops-msg (8K) 2/ 8/01 Use of hops in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/hops-msg.html

If you are new to the SCA, then some of the files in the NEWCOMERS section might also be of interest.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com