[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

Kingstaste kingstaste at comcast.net
Sun Jan 30 17:57:31 PST 2011

I thought maybe you could stretch the non-sweet to include wafers.
They really didn't do cocktail nibbles, did they?

Johnnae

No, those came about with the Speakeasy (had to have something to wash down
the bathtub gin with!).
The consumptive diets were all based on putting on weight, so they tend to
be meat, cream, and egg heavy.  Pastries and cakes are said to be right out
though.  There are lots of things like ground meat rolled into balls and
rolled in sugar, served raw.  Yum - mmee.  :/
I haven't found a direct reference to a blancmange yet, but 'rice cooked in
milk' was mentioned in one 19th century health manual on a list of diets for
consumptives, as well as meats and custards of eggs and milk.  I think a
savory rice and chicken in a molded shape would do pretty well for my
purposes.  They also stress fresh fruits and vegetables, so I'm considering
haricot vert or asparagus or even a recipe for pureed spinach.  Hard to make
a 'snack' out of that though...

LOL - Huette, I could go with a bag of Riccola and be done with it, right?
HA!
Christianna