[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 12:33:33 PST 2011

I just saw a blancmange in a 1880's cook book I just got.  It kind of surprised
me to see it.  I will look at that book again and send the recipe.

There were all lkinds of interesting things in it, and there were some sick
folks recipes,anything you want me to look for?

Mirianna

>>The consumptive diets were all based on putting on weight, so they tend to
be meat, cream, and egg heavy.  Pastries and cakes are said to be right out
though.  There are lots of things like ground meat rolled into balls and
rolled in sugar, served raw.  Yum - mmee.  :/
I haven't found a direct reference to a blancmange yet, but 'rice cooked in
milk' was mentioned in one 19th century health manual on a list of diets for
consumptives, as well as meats and custards of eggs and milk.
LOL - Huette, I could go with a bag of Riccola and be done with it, right?
HA!
Christianna<<