[Sca-cooks] citrus was Panforte

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon Jan 31 13:07:12 PST 2011

I did my last revision of my book (nearly 300 pages) on Oranges and
Citrus Fruits in 2005. Citron is thought to be the original citrus
fruit. From it come all the others. There's a date that floats around
of 2200 BCE for domestication in Southeast Asia.  "One problem that
occurs with Oranges and other Citrus fruits is that they are
genetically unstable and odd mutants arise at times without warning.
They are generally cultivated now as they were centuries ago by slips
that are placed or grafted onto rootstocks of the same or another
variety." (Holloway, 2005)

The citrus fruits have hundreds of varieties that we never commonly
see. They also can be crossed and recrossed, hence all these new small
varieties that are in the produce departments now. Also the USDA
prevents the importation of a number of varieties due to quarantines
for diseases and insects.

Those Buddha's hands date back to at least the 4th century CE.

Johnnae