[Sca-cooks] citrus was Panforte

V O voztemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 13:14:59 PST 2011

Cool, Thanks!

Mirianna

----- Original Message ----
From: Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com>
To: yaini0625 at yahoo.com; Cooks within the SCA <sca-cooks at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Mon, January 31, 2011 2:07:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] citrus was Panforte

I did my last revision of my book (nearly 300 pages) on Oranges and Citrus
Fruits in 2005. Citron is thought to be the original citrus fruit. From it come
all the others. There's a date that floats around of 2200 BCE for domestication
in Southeast Asia.  "One problem that occurs with Oranges and other Citrus
fruits is that they are genetically unstable and odd mutants arise at times
without warning. They are generally cultivated now as they were centuries ago by
slips that are placed or grafted onto rootstocks of the same or another
variety." (Holloway, 2005)

The citrus fruits have hundreds of varieties that we never commonly see. They
also can be crossed and recrossed, hence all these new small varieties that are
in the produce departments now. Also the USDA prevents the importation of a
number of varieties due to quarantines for diseases and insects.

Those Buddha's hands date back to at least the 4th century CE.

Johnnae