[Sca-cooks] OOP - Food for a 19th Century Parisian Courtesan

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 18:40:09 PST 2011

I am not surprised that you found a recipe for Blancmange in a 19th century cookbook.  The name has come down through the centuries, but unfortunately the recipe has changed.  The medieval Blancmange is made with rice, shreaded chicken and almonds or almond milk.  However the Victorian version is very much a dessert, made from gelatin,  cornstarch, eggs and cream and flavored variously depending on the chef.    It is the kind of dessert that was molded in a gelatin mold.  It is supposed to be sweet and very bland.

There is a hugely funny skit from Monty Python about a Blancmange playing tennis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMCNltgrs1U

Huette