[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 57, Issue 46

mich0067 at flinders.edu.au mich0067 at flinders.edu.au
Tue Jan 25 19:18:43 PST 2011

>>>Okay, I'll admit my ignorance again. What is a/are "Hills Hoists"?

A rotary clothesline -
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqRHuOy9UKQ-DH3uTdJ0b599N7dT0mna-718u8Lm4-QQeyVwxZCg&t=1.
 There are ball bearings in the top part so that it spins in the breeze to dry
the washing faster - or as a 'ride' for young children who grab onto the ends
and swing around on it (just don't get caught).

>>> I thought part of the idea of a meat pie was that it was "finger food".
>>>Something, like a sandwich, that you could pick up, easily eat without a lot

>>>of utensils, even perhaps carry around. Both this tomato sauce/ketchup and
>>>this floating in pea soup, seem to really defeat this purpose.  Admittedly,
>>>Americans often put ketchup inside their hamburgers, but that is safely
>>>inside, not where it can drop or smear on things.

We use squeeze bottle with a pointy lid.  You squeeze the sauce INTO the pie.
If you're truly messy you use the paper bag the pie came in as a sort of bib /
napkin.

And we in Adelaide don't actually eat pie floaters (except at 3-4am after a big
night).  They're there for the tourists >.<.

>>>Yeah. Definitely a regional variation. I can imagine various other "regional

>>>variations" as well, such as what you might do in New York or New Orleans or

>>>Florida. Hmmm. Fish isn't common in Australia?

It is, but you'd never put it in a pie.  It's just not done.